Monday, December 20, 2010

Life in the Carolinas

I'm a slacker when it comes to blogging. I could say its been all of the work and socialization that I've been up to, I could write it off on the classes I was taking earlier this fall. Shoot, I could even blame it on the occasional snowfall and the lack of a real internet connection out in Timberlake. No matter the excuse, that's all it really is - an excuse.

The truth is, I've had time. But I'm just a little lazy. I took some classes, and then on top of that I got licensed for both health and life insurance in North Carolina, as well as passing my Series 6 (limited securities trading) and Series 63 (finance law) exams. Top that off with me having completed my training for Prudential Financial, and I've been a busy man. That hasn't kept me from spending my free time with my newly found Carolinian friends. I'm enjoying the folks over at Healing Waters Med Spa, and then there are the nurses over at Duke Hospital. So many great people, so little time.

Life is a funny thing, and if you aren't careful, it can get off track quickly. Having recovered from getting my life way off track, it is calming to not have my head spinning any longer. Give it a few more months and I might actually be thriving once more! I want to thank people like Abe and Stacee Thornton for making the trip out here possible; Jim, RaNada, Ben, Jenni, and Hailey Thornton for taking me in as if I were family; Shannon Disena for being the kind of friend every person longs for; and most of all, Jamie Thornton for being reason enough to come here in the first place!

I can't praise my family enough for their support this past year. Having given up my roots for the hope of a life more grand than the one I knew was risky, but they've seen me through it and shown me all of the support that they could muster. My grandfather in particular has stepped up in my life. He has surprised me with his willingness to contribute, even though it never should have come as a surprise. I spent a lot of time with him when I was young, but at the time I could not see him with anything but the eyes of a child. Having grown up, I appreciate more fully the role that he is playing in my life now, and the role that he has always had. I didn't see how much he did for me in the past, and could spend the rest of my life thanking him for what he means to me. My father has done the same thing. Teamed together with my mom, they have made tireless efforts to connect with me, reach out to me, and build me up. I remember when they drove away from my house in LA, the last time I saw them. My dad nearly had tears in his eyes, and my mom had grown silent. I miss them both, and cannot wait to see them again!

Now I'm here, starting to settle in, and loving what I'm seeing. Things like my own apartment, a new car (maybe), and finishing a degree are all just around the corner! 2011 is going to be very exciting, and I'm looking forward to sharing it with everyone.

Oh, and I'm so over U2. They need to retire already.

No comments:

Post a Comment