Wednesday, February 25, 2009

So let's talk about fasting.

Today happens to be Ash Wednesday, the first day of Lent. No, I'm not Catholic, but there's no harm in trying to understand and make the most of the sacrifice. From what I've read, Lent is a time for us to give up things in our life which detract from our walk with Christ. Considering all the transition that I'm working through, and the VAST amounts of time that I've got while searching for meaningful, society-contributing employment, I'm in an opportune position to make some changes on the inside.

Baseball. Preseason started today. Just my luck, wouldn't you know it? So I'm giving up on baseball for the next 46 days (don't even get me started on how unfair it is that Lent actually lasts 46 days instead of the advertised 40). I have a tendency to spend too much time reading about games, how pitchers performed, studying stats and matchups. Especially with the Yankees newest pitching lineup, I'm going to have to focus to push this out of my life.

Beyond that, Lent is just FULL of fun. I'm giving up multiple things, to clear my life of obstacles. God has me here in Visalia, now. I want to make the most of everything that He has to offer me. But we have to sacrifice with purpose. Today I read Isaiah 58:1-12. In the passage it speaks of sacrifice beign consistent with the rest of your life. You cannot just fast and continue on living your life without the social commitment. I'm not going to assume myself to be any more pious or special than any other man, simply because I choose to sacrifice parts of who I am so that I can be less of me, and more of Him.

Day 1. Check. 45 more to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment